Whitley Bay vs Benfield: Match Report



The first derby game of the season arrived with the Lions facing Whitley Bay and it was the Bay who should have opened the scoring in the second minute, Richard Coulson produced a fine cross into the Benfield penalty area to find Jason Chanayire who had a free head at goal but he put it wide of the goal when the least he should have done was hit the target.

Two minutes later and it was again Chanayire who was in the thick of the action, after a tantalising run drifting past two Benfield defenders he spoilt the moment by crossing the ball out for a goal kick.

Whitley kept on coming forward and had another goalscoring opportunity in the fifth minute when a cross from Richard Coulson found the head of Jon Weirs who saw his effort well saved for a corner by Benfield keeper Andrew Grainger.

It only took eight minutes before the first goal was scored and it went to the visitors, Mark (Sparky) Turnbull took a free kick shooting at goal, the ball was spilled by Whitley keeper Chris Bannon coming back to Turnbull who had advanced forward to tap the ball into the net making the score 1-0 to Benfield.

In the twelfth minute Whitley Bay can count themselves unlucky not to get an equaliser when Adam Shanks struck a well hit shot from 20 yards crashed of the Benfield cross bar and away to safety.

Play had reached the seventeenth minute when a fine run by Benfield’s Abu Salim saw him find Connor Walker who saw his shot saved by Whitley Bay keeper Chris Bannon, and with twenty-five minutes gone a fine three man move for Benfield down the right, saw Cameron Gascoigne break forward to find team mate Aiden Haley who shot just wide of the goal.

The game reached the half hour mark and with it came an equalising goal for the home side, a corner from the right flew across the Benfield six-yard box to give Mark Turnbull his second goal of the match but unfortunately the was an own goal making the score level at 1-1.

After equalising it only took three minutes for the home team to reclaim the lead, it came in the thirty-third minute after poor play by Benfield’s Kane Evans from a throw in allowed Jason Chanayire to advance forward and produce an excellent lob over the head of Benfield keeper Andrew Grainger making the score 2-1 to Whitley Bay.

The home team kept on coming forward and within two minutes of getting their second goal came close to a third when a volley from Weirs brought a good save from Grainger the Benfield keeper.

Then with halftime approaching in the forty-second minute Whitley Bay missed another opportunity to get another goal, Jon Weirs put over a tantalising cross to find Matt Weirs who should have at least hit the target but he headed wide of the Benfield goal leaving the halftime score 2-1 to Whitley Bay.

After a decent first half the second half was poor with both teams huffing and puffing and giving the ball away, the first thing of note came ten minutes into the second half when a long run from the half way line by Luke Taylor ended with a disappointing shot and an easy save.

Another ten minutes drifted by and it took a fine save by Benfield goalkeeper Andrew Grainger to stop Whitley Bays number nine Adam Shanks from increasing their lead.

Twenty-five minutes were left with no team looking like another goal was going to be scored as both teams were giving the ball away or picking the wrong final pass and time went by with both teams making hard work of the rest of the second half not producing any excitement for the spectators with the final score being 2-1 to Whitley Bay.

Man of the match … MARK [SPARKY] TURNBULL

Reporter: Allan Young

100 views0 comments