Whickham vs Newcastle Benfield : Match Report



This match got off to a sparkling start with almost a goal in the first minute then two in nine minutes, a cross from Benfield’s Cameron Gascoigne into team mate Dennis Knight saw the ball bounce and hit Danny Barlow on the shoulder and away to safety.

The home supporters only had to wait one more minute for the opening goal, when Whickham’s Scott Robson latched onto a miskick from Benfield’s debutant goalkeeper Jamie Cotterall to hit his shot over the bar.

From the goal kick the ball went out to the Whickham right wing and it was then crossed back into the Benfield goal area to go over the head of the Benfield goalkeeper.

In an attempt to clear the ball off the Benfield goal line Josh Robson could only divert the ball into the net from an attempted overhead kick to make the score 1-0 to the home team.

Only another seven minutes had passed by before Whickham got their second goal, a ball down the line was crossed into the far post with Zak Atkinson getting on the end of the cross with a bullet header flying into the Benfield goal giving the Benfield keeper no chance of saving for the second goal to Whickham.

The seventeenth minute of the game produced the first real effort of the match for Benfield, a freekick taken by Cameron Gascoigne into the Whickham penalty area was inches from being an own goal with the ball flying just past the outside of the post for a corner.

From the corner Benfield’s defender Brad Varga saw his header cleared off the line by Danny Barlow. Twenty minutes had elapsed when good control by Zak Atkinson saw him dribble past Benfield defender Peter Glen-Ravenhill with his strong drive unluckily for him hitting the crossbar. Benfield again came close to getting a goal when Dennis Knight beat two men to be fouled and from the freekick he saw his well hit shot just clear the Whickham bar.

It was the turn of the home team in getting a third goal on the half hour mark, an attack down the left was only half cleared 25-yards out to see Danny Barlow hit a half volley just over the Benfield cross bar. Two minutes later and Barlow hit a freekick from twenty-yards which was spilled by the Benfield keeper to be cleared to safety.

It was only a matter of time before the third goal of the match occurred, again it went to Whickham when a pass down the line found Jack Robson who produced a fine cross onto the head of Zak Atkinson with the ball flying into the net making the score 3-0 to Whickham.

As in the first half it was Whickham who were fastest out of the traps in the second half, with Jack Robson seeing his low drive blocked away to safety by Benfield defender Brad Varga. Fifty-seven minutes brought the fourth goal for Whickham and a hattrick for Zak Atkinson, after fullback Brad Varga was found guilty of handling the ball and a penalty given which he confidently dispatched to make it 4-0 to Whickham. Play then was even until the seventy-first minute when slick play and control by Benfield’s Dennis Knight saw a well hit shot saved by Whickham goalkeeper James Anderson.

The goalkeeper then threw the ball out to Kaleb Young who advanced forward and produced a delightful pass with the outside of his right foot to find team mate Scott Robson who confidently dispatched the ball into the Benfield net making the score 5-0.

Although being well behind Benfield kept on trying and in the seventy fifth minute a great centre from Lewis Leech just evaded Ritchie Slaughter who threw himself at the ball unluckily not making contact with ball going into the hands of keeper James Anderson.

Newcastle Benfield were then hit for six with five minutes to go when Whickham were awarded a free kick twenty yards out, the ball rebounded off the defensive wall to find substitute David Below who with his first touch crashed a bullet shot into the Benfield net making the final score 6-0.

Man of the Match … Josh Robson.

Reporter:- Allan Young.

13 views0 comments