Ryhope CW vs Newcastle Benfield: Match Report




This was the first trip to Ryhope for a league game before Newcastle Benfield come back again in 2 weeks’ time to play in the Division 1 League Cup semi-final. A difficult game was envisaged for the Lions against a team currently lying-in fourth position in the league.

As early as the second minute it took good defending from the Benfield captain Mark Turnbull to clear the ball for a corner after a long throw in saw the ball being flicked on by Chris Wallace.

The home team did not have to wait long for the first goal of the game, it came in the fifth minute from the penalty spot after a foul by Benfield keeper Andrew Grainger with Robbie Bird converting the penalty high into the Benfield net making the score 1-0 to Ryhope. Within a minute a long ball out of defence put Benfield’s Archie Leonard thru with the Ryhope defence appealing for offside but despite hearing no whistle from the referee he stopped allowing the Ryhope keeper Jordan Harkness the opportunity to collect the ball.

Twenty minutes more had elapsed when the second goal of the game arrived and again it went to Ryhope, James Ellis who is normally on the end of crosses put in a perfect cross to be met by team mate Chris Wallace who flashed a fine header into the top corner of the net making it 2-0 to Ryhope.

Time passed by with play being even despite Benfield being two goals down but the visitors should have pulled a goal back in the fortieth minute when good control of the ball by Archie Leonard saw him advance on a one on one with Ryhope goalkeeper Jordan Harkness with the goalkeeper making a good save although it should have been him picking the ball out of the net.

It was getting close to halftime when in the forty-third minute a cross from Ryhope striker Robbie Bird found team mate Oscar Taylor who saw his header well saved by the Benfield keeper Andrew Grainger. Added on time in the first half produced another goal to Ryhope when from a corner Danni Lay headed the ball back across the Benfield six-yard box to see the ball deflected off a defender with the ball dropping at the feet of the Ryhope captain Chris Trewick who prodded the ball into the vacant net to make the score 3-0 to Ryhope which was also the halftime score.

Benfield made a substitution at halftime replacing Connor Walker with Paul Brayson. As in the first half the second minute produced a shooting opportunity again to Ryhope, a cross from the left saw a shot by James Ellis bringing a good save out of Benfield keeper Andrew Grainger. Then eight minutes of the second half had passed when Benfield for all their endeavours

got a goal back, substitute Jamie Clarke played a pass to Ryan McGorrigan who from 25-yards crashed a shot past Ryhope keeper Jordan Harkness to make it 3-1 to Ryhope.

Ryhope came close to a fourth goal in the sixty-fourth minute when Jon Weirs saw his header hit the Benfield woodwork and bounce back out to Danni Lay who put the ball over the Benfield bar. The home team were then content to then keep the score as it was, and didn’t go all gung-ho in trying to get another goal and were content to keep the score as it was at 3-1.

Ryhope should have got a fourth goal in the forty-first minute when Benfield goalkeeper Andrew Grainger thought he was a centre half and advanced out of his penalty area to head the ball and it fell to Ryhope defender David Gordon who had an empty goal to aim at but he put it wide of the woodwork leaving the score at 3-1 to Ryhope which was the final score.

Man of the Match … Brad Varga.

Reporter:- Allan Young.

61 views0 comments