Newcastle Benfield vs Penrith: Match Report

Updated: Feb 16

12 February 2022.  EBAC NORTHERN LEAGUE Division 1 PENRITH v NEWCASTLE BENFIELD The long and winding road to Penrith on a cold and damp morning with a forecast of snow which fortunately didn’t arrive was the venue for today’s match.  Penrith were quick out of the traps gaining a corner after a strong run and cross from fullback Luke Brown but it led to a freekick to Benfield after a foul on defender Kane Evans.  It was the turn of Benfield to come close to getting the opening goal in the nineth minute when Evans was back in the action with his cross being deflected towards the Penrith goal bringing a fine save from Penrith keeper Declyn Duggan tipping the ball over the bar for a corner. Fifteen minutes had gone by when the first goal arrived and it went the way of the visitors Newcastle Benfield, a corner on the right taken by Abu Salim was met by the head of Benfield centre back Louis Scorgie who saw his bullet header fly into the Penrith net giving the keeper no chance of saving, making the score 1-0 to Newcastle Benfield. Within a minute Penrith should have equalised when the Penrith Captain Grant Davidson had a free head at goal from a corner heading just wide of the Benfield post. The second goal of the game came in the seventeenth minute and it again went to the visitors , a cross field pass found Ritchie Slaughter who then played in Connor Walker who saw his centre well defended for a corner. The corner was taken by Abu Salim with the Penrith goalkeeper completely missing the ball and it flew directly into the goal making the score 2-0 to Benfield. Newcastle Benfield were now playing with a lot of confidence and came close to getting a third goal in the nineteenth minute a long pass from Peter Glen- Ravenhill into Paul Brayson looked like a bread and butter job to head into the net but Penrith captain Grant Davidson was alert to the situation heading the ball for a corner. Penrith were lacking in ideas in an attacking sense although they managed to get two corners in the twenty-second and twenty-eighth minutes which came to nothing. Not to be too downhearted the home team came close in the thirty-second minute after a free kick was launched into the Benfield penalty area only to see Benfield keeper Andrew Grainger bring off two brilliant saves before Louis Scorgie cleared the ball away. The killer moment of the game for Penrith arrived in the thirty-ninth minute when the conceded a third goal, it came after Benfield’s midfielder Ritchie Slaughter won the ball in midfield before playing in ace goal scorer Paul Brayson who ran in on goal before rounding Penrith keeper Declyn Duggan to put the ball into an empty net making the score 3-0 to Newcastle Benfield.  This was the score when the halftime whistle went. Penrith brought on Hayden Tait at halftime and he looked sharp bringing a good save out of the Benfield keeper in the fifty-fourth. The game looked as if it was all over with Benfield controlling the tempo of the game but to their credit Penrith did not give in and in fact got a goal back in the seventy-fifth minute.  The ball arrived in the Benfield penalty area and was not cleared with Penrith striker Shaun Gardener pouncing on the ball in the goalmouth scramble scoring to make the score 3-1. Chances were coming thick and fast and in the seventy-eighth minute Benfield should have had a fourth goal, a well worked build up down the right wing saw Archie Leonard cross to Brayson who had a free head at goal and should score but he was denied by a good save by the Penrith goal keeper.  Time was running out for the home team to get anything out of the game but it took a good save by the Benfield keeper Andrew Grainger in the eighty-third minute to deny Penrith centre forward Shaun Gardner.  Then the eighty-sixth minute should have produced another goal and again it went the way of Paul Brayson, a terrific three man move ended with the ball at Brassy’s feet giving him a run in on goal but he fluffed his lines with the keeper making an easy save.   Although they kept on trying nothing much was seen from Penrith in an attacking sense but substitute Carl Lightfoot made sure the Benfield keeper was alert to the situation with his well struck shot saved. The time was running out for the home team to get anything from the game and in fact they conceded in the ninety-first minute. A great run by Connor Walker saw him dribble past three defenders before he cut in unselfishly squaring the ball into the feet of Archie Leonard who had the simple task of putting the ball into an empty net making the score 4-1 to Newcastle Benfield which was the final score.  Man of the Match … Joe Robson Reprter: - Allan Young. 

56 views0 comments