Newcastle Benfield vs Northallerton Town: Match Report



Northallerton were the visitors to Newcastle Benfield with a long drive up the A1, it was the home team that started the brightest and came close to getting the opening goal in the fourth minute of the game. Sam Walton received the ball and after a swift turn played a pass to Cameron Gascoigne, who saw his shot deflected for a corner.

It was the thirteenth minute of the game when Benfield got the opening goal, after a flowing move Archie Leonard pulled the ball back to Sam Walton, who saw his shot on goal bring out a terrific save from the Northallerton keeper Michael Roxburgh. The ball then fell kindly for Cameron Gascoigne who placed the ball into an empty net, making the score 1-0 to Newcastle Benfield.

Within a minute of going behind, Northallerton should have got an equalising goal, a fine cross from the right wing gave striker Gary Mitchell a free head at the Benfield goal from six yards which he headed high over the Benfield goal.

The twenty-sixth minute arrived when one of the linesmen injured his ankle and was replaced by former football icon & media maestro Allan Young who completed his duties more than competently until half time (Sid’s words not mine) when he was replaced by another referee who had come to watch the game with his afternoon match being completed.

The home team again came close in the twenty-eighth minute when a Sam Walton header just cleared the Allerton crossbar from a Gazza free kick. It was Walton again who should have scored a minute later when another Gascoigne free kick found his team mate's head´, only for him to head over the bar from six yards.

It was all Benfield in an attacking sense but they were nearly made to pay for their missed chances when on the half hour mark Cieran Jackson was unfortunate not to get an equaliser, putting a difficult chance just past the Benfield upright.

The game was flowing to and from each end with Sam Walton just clearing the Northallerton crossbar, after receiving a fine pass from Aiden Haley. It certainly was not a one-sided match and the visitors again came close to getting a goal in the thirty-eighth minute, good approach work from Northallerton’s Cieran Jackson saw the ball find teammate Lewis Rees, who saw his scrambled effort cleared for a corner by Kane Evens.

Forty-two minutes had passed when George Whiteoak could count himself lucky to only get a yellow card after a bad foul on Sam Walton 35 yards from goal. Cameron Gascoigne’s free kick was cleared for a corner which came to nothing. Half time was quickly approaching and Benfield can count themselves lucky that an equaliser didn’t happen when in the fourth-fifth minute Northallerton’s Michael Rae was given a good pass putting him through, but a poor first touch allowed Benfield defender Jake Turnbull the chance to clear leaving the score at half time 1-0 to Newcastle Benfield.

Only two minutes of the second half had elapsed when Benfield should have gotten a second goal, good play by Archie Leonard set up a golden chance for Cameron Gascoigne, but he missed the target keeping the score at 1-0 to the home team.

Play for the next ten minutes was fairly even, but in the fifty-sixth minute the Northallerton keeper came to his team’s rescue making a fine save from Benfield’s Jake Turnbull. The game was now starting to go to and fro with Northallerton’s Cieran Jackson having a great opportunity to get an equaliser and from the clearance it was the turn of Benfield’s Archie Leonard who was in on goal only to be denied by Northallerton keeper Michael Roxburgh saving for a corner.

Benfield then had good chances to get the next goal in the Northallerton six-yard box, but fine desperate defending saw the Yorkshire team keep the score at 1-0. With fifteen minutes of the match to go there was a strong appeal from Northallerton for a penalty after a scramble in the Benfield six-yard box.

The visitors were still well in the game despite being a goal behind, with Benfield keeper Andrew Grainger having to make a good save after a fine run and shot from substitute Jack Stapley, and it looked like a matter of time before the visitors would get an equaliser.

It was then the turn of Newton Aycliffe goalkeeper Michael Roxburgh to show his skills. It came after a three man move involving Abu Salim, Dennis Knight, and ended with the Northallerton keeper bringing off a good save from Paul Brayson.

Then with ten minutes left on the clock the next goal was going to decide the end result either way, fortunately for the home team supporters it went the way of Newcastle Benfield; substitute Dennis Knight put a slide rule pass into the path of Abu Salim who gleefully side footed the ball home from ten yards to make it 2-0 to Newcastle Benfield.

As in many of the previous games this season Newcastle Benfield have been unable to keep a clean sheet and so it proved in this game as in the eighty-eighth minute Northallerton substitute Nathaniel Skidmore hit a rocket shot into the top corner of the Benfield goal giving Benfield keeper Andrew Grainger no chance of saving, making the score 2-1.

This gave the visitors more hope of getting an equaliser, but the Lions could relax as within three minutes Benfield got the their third goal of the game, a long pass out of defence found Paul Brayson control the ball to advance forward and hit a shot, which the Allerton keeper could not hold, only parrying the ball into the path of Dennis Knight who crashed the ball into the goal making the score 3-1 to Newcastle Benfield which was the final score.

Man of the Match … Brad Varga.

Reporter: Allan Young.

65 views0 comments