Newcastle Benfield vs Newton Aycliffe: Match Report




Newton Aycliffe were the visitors for the final league game at Sam Smith’s Park this season, it was the third time this season having already met in the Division 1 League Cup with Benfield going thru 3-1 after a penalty shootout and Aycliffe winning the previous league game 3-1. Newton Aycliffe started sharply gaining a corner in the first minute with a smart move involving Ben Reay and Mark Costello.

It was Ben Reay again two minutes later who saw his well hit drive bring a good save out of Benfield keeper Joshua Wilson for a corner. Ten more minutes had elapsed when Benfield were indebted to team captain Mark Turnbull for clearing the danger for a corner from a superb cross from Aycliffe defender Nicholas Green.

Aycliffe were on top possession wise but were not creating any real danger to the Benfield defence or goal keeper Joshua Wilson. The thirty-ninth minute saw a break by Aycliffe but this was ended with a fine slide tackle from Brad Varga clearing for a corner.

Benfield came close to opening the scoring when Ethan Renney played in Jamie Clarke but his effort on goal was easily saved.

Halftime was approaching and so was the first goal of the game with it going to Newcastle Benfield, a long clearance out of defence found Benfield striker Paul Brayson who after controlling the ball advanced forward in a one-on-one situation with Aycliffe keeper Adam Dickford dinking the ball over a despairing dive to make the score 1-0 to Newcastle Benfield which was the score at halftime.

The second half wasn’t even ten minutes old when the equalising goal came after a pass from Ben Reay was pounced on by Ethan Wood who slotted the ball past Benfield keeper Joshua Wilson to level the scores up at 1-1.

Newton Aycliffe were now on top and if any team looked like scoring it was the visitors. With fourteen minutes of the second half gone it was Newton Aycliffe who came desperately close to getting a second goal, Lewis Walton got control of the ball and ran thru to see his shot saved by the Benfield goalkeeper Joshua Wilson who pushed the firmly struck shot against the Benfield post for a corner which was cleared for another corner. The game was starting to get a little scrappy with both teams being guilty of giving the ball away.

The visitors were unfortunate not to go ahead in the seventy-third minute when a long throw in was met by Mark Costello who headed the ball on target only to be denied by Benfield keeper Joshua Wilson who produced a good save pushing the ball onto the Benfield crossbar and away to safety.

Newton Aycliffe were now on top and it looked as if it was just a matter of time before a goal would be coming their way and they came close when a long cross field pass from Mark Costello into substitute Jack Clarkson disappointed when he put it wide of the Benfield goal.

The Benfield captain Mark Turnbull was again in the action with seventy-eighth minutes elapsing when a cross from Aycliffe’s Joe Ferguson to the far post intended for team mate Andrei-Vasile Arde found the Benfield captain alert to the danger and clearing the ball away, with five minutes of normal time left the ball found its way to Connor Walker out on the wing but his cross came to nothing landing easily in the Aycliffe’s goalkeeper’s hands.

Eighty-six minutes produced a great scoring chance for the visitors, a long throw found Ben Reay who went on a one-on-one situation with home goalkeeper Joshua Wilson but he lobbed the ball high over the Benfield crossbar.

Time was running out with both teams looking as if they would be happy with a point each but then came a moment in the game that at least one team wouldn’t want.

In the eighty-ninth minute Newton Aycliffe were awarded a corner, it flew to the far post to find their centre half Callum Munro who bulleted a header into the Benfield net making the score 2-1 to Newton Aycliffe which was the final score and the final league game of the season.

Benfield Man o the Match … Cameron Gascoigne

Reporter: - Allan Young.

0 views0 comments