Newcastle Benfield vs Bishop Auckland: Match Report

Updated: Apr 4



Although Benfield’s opponents Bishop Auckland were eighteenth in the league a win for Benfield was not a forgone conclusion as the visitors were undefeated in their last three games.

It took six minutes before anything worth noting happened, after a fine pass from Brad Varga found Jamie Clarke creating a half chance of hitting the target but a mis kick caused no concern to the Bishop’s goalkeeper Nicholas Liversedge.

Newcastle Benfield had to make an adjustment to the team as early as the ninth minute when recent signing Sol Bell had to go off injured and was replaced by Connor Walker.

It had been a poor scrappy opening fifteen minutes from both teams before Bishop got a freekick 30-yards out from the Benfield goal, this was taken by Anthony Callaghan, but his effort gave Benfield keeper Andrew Grainger no cause for concern as the ball flew high over the Benfield bar.

It was the twenty third minute before the first real move by either team occurred when a fine three man move involving Benfield’s Jamie Clarke, Cameron Gascoigne, and Connor Walker gained Benfield a corner. From that corner the ball bobbled about the Bishop’s penalty area before being scrambled away to safety.

At this stage nothing much in an attacking sense had been seen from the Bishop Auckland team but this can be said about the Benfield team also.

It was the thirty-seventh minute for the next attack from either team amounted to anything and it was the home team’s turn for a corner which was taken by Ryan Gascoigne to find team mate Lewis Leach who saw his well struck shot well blocked by the Bishop’s defender Jamie Poole and away to safety.

Peter Glen-Ravenhill put over a great cross in the forty-third minute into the Bishops penalty area after a build up with Ryan McGorrigan but it ended with no end product as did the first half 0-0.

In the first half the final pass from both teams was poor and it continued in the second half when a thru ball from Benfield’s Jamie Clarke was overhit to Cameron Gascoigne causing Bishop’s keeper no concern.

Ten minutes into the second half had elapsed when a dangerous cross from Bishop Auckland’s Dale Milburn caused a little concern in the Benfield penalty area before Benfield keeper Andrew Grainger kicked the ball clear from any danger to the Benfield goal.

Poor play by Benfield keeper Andrew Grainger in the sixty-second minute almost cost Benfield a goal when he mistimed his leap to collect the ball but fortunately Benfield defender Lewis Leech was on hand to clear the ball away.

It was Bishop’s turn to come close to getting a goal in a match which had nil-nil written all over it, a quick three man move saw Benfield defender Brad Varga just manage to intercept the final thru ball clearing it away to safety.

With five minutes left Benfield were awarded a free kick which was well struck by Aiden Healy but his effort on goal was equally well saved by Bishop Auckland keeper Nicholas Liversedge. The match was coming to an end and it must have been to the delight of both sets of supporters as it had been of poor quality from both sides.

The final goal scoring opportunity came in the eighty-eighth minute when a corner to Benfield found the head of Aiden Healey who headed over the bar and soon after the final whistle went with both teams grateful in a poor game for an 0-0 draw.

Man of the Match … Brad Varga.

Reporter: - Allan Young.

32 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All