Benfield vs Sunderland RCA: Match Report



This was the first Newcastle / Sunderland derby of the season in what was promising to be a close affair. Newcastle Benfield had to make a late change to their original team selection after defender Louis Scorgie pulled a muscle in the pre match warm up.

Benfield came close in the first minute when strong hold up play and a shot by Paul Brayson came after he controlled a cross from Joe Robson. It was Benfield again in the seventh minute that saw a well struck shot from Ryan McGorrigan after he had received a pass from Conner Walker but the R.C.A. keeper Keaton Marrs was up to the task producing a fine save.

A minute later and it was McGorrigan again when he was played in by team mate Paul Brayson but a fine block by R.C.A. captain Greg Swansbury rescued the situation with the ball going for a corner. It seemed that something every minute was going to happen with Benfield coming close again in the ninth minute after a strong run and cross found Aiden Haley who then played in Brad Varga who shot just wide of the RCA goal post.

It was thirty minutes later before anything of note could be reported with both teams being guilty of giving possession of the ball away. A good move down the wing by Benfield’s Ethan Renney gained a corner from his dangerous cross to the far post, it was deflected but came to nothing.

It seemed as if anything of note was coming in one-minute intervals as in the fortieth minute a good shot from 20 yards from R.C.A. player Craig Hennis was inches wide of the Benfield goal.

Halftime was approaching and in the second minute of added on time Benfield went again close to opening the scoring, a terrific run by Aiden Haley down the left flank saw his fine cross headed over the bar by Paul Brayson leaving the score at 0-0 at halftime.

Sunderland R.C.A. started the second half on the front foot and in the first minute of the second half came close to opening the scoring and they came close again in the fifty-sixth minute when it took a fine save by Benfield keeper Andrew Grainger to deny Taylor Richardson.

As in the first half it seemed that things were occurring in one minute intervals and R.C.A. were indebted to Kieran Charlton in the fifty-seventh minute when a corner was given to the home team after a strong effort by Ritchie Slaughter was cleared away. Connor Walker took the corner to find the head of Benfield captain Mark Turnbull who saw his strong headed effort cleared off the line by R.C.A. defender Kieran Charlton.

An hour had passed by with a few more attacking moves occurring and a chance came the way of R.C.A. when Craig Hennis put Michael Annan-Colquan thru but a well-timed tackle from Ethan Renney cleared the danger.

With ten minutes left it looked like neither team was going to score with odds of a 0-0 draw being favourite having gone thirty minutes without either team looking as if they would score but Benfield were indebted to Brad Varga in the eightieth minute for him clearing a dangerous near post cross from Craig Hennis.

Newcastle Benfield awarded a free kick in the eighty-third minute which was taken by Cameron Gascoigne with his strong cross met by the head of Mark Turnbull who saw his effort fly into the net making the score 1-0 to Newcastle Benfield.

It wasn’t long despite having waited eighty-three minutes for the first goal before the second goal of the game arrived in the eighty-seventh minute and it again went to Newcastle Benfield. A free kick was awarded to Benfield on the half way line with Cameron Gascoigne again taking the kick which found Archie Leonard who brilliantly controlled the ball before rolling the ball past Sunderland R.C.A. keeper Keaton Marrs for Newcastle Benfield making the score 2-0 which was the final score.

Man of the Match … Brad Varga.

Reporter :- Allan Young.

47 views0 comments