Benfield vs Killingworth: Match Report

This was the fifth pre-season game which has come with three victories & one defeat, with the Lions scoring 13 goals and conceding only 2.

It didn’t take long for the home team to open the scoring as within five minutes they took the lead, a long pass out of their penalty area found the feet of Dennis Knight, after controlling the ball he unleashed an unstoppable left foot shot from twenty yards which flew into the net via the cross bar.

Killingworth did come close to equalising in the seventh minute, a Dan Souter corner was only half cleared to the edge of the Benfield penalty area, falling to the feet of Harry Oxhall who was unlucky to see his effort just clear the Benfield cross bar.

There was to be no sympathy however for the visitors, as within a minute they could have been two goals down, when goal scorer Knight crashed a terrific drive against the Killingworth post, not to be too downhearted it was Knight who scored again heading home in the ninth minute to make it 2-0 from a long cross from Peter Glen-Ravenhill.

Killingworth in the twelfth minute produced a decent move started by Matty Lee but as with a lot of their play, in which they never stopped competing, the final pass was way off the mark. For the next twenty minutes play was confined to the mid field area, but despite trying hard it always looked as if the next goal would come from the home team and so it did.

Strong play again from Dennis Knight in the forty-first minute saw him lay it on a plate for Salim Abubaker who side footed home from three yards to make it 3-0 to Newcastle Benfield as it was at the halftime break.

The second half was only eight minutes old when that man again Dennis Knight screamed a terrific shot just over the Killingworth crossbar denying him a hat trick. It was all Benfield now who were running amok and it was almost four when fine play from Jake Evans found Cyril Giraud who in turn set up Salim Abubaker but his effort cleared the cross bar.

The fourth goal didn’t take long in coming and again it was the home team who scored it in the sixty-third minute, a thru ball found Cyril Giraud, who took on a defender flying past him and driving the ball into Killingworth net giving goalkeeper Ross Noble no chance of saving making the score 4-0.

In the twenty-third minute of the second half when Killingworth introduced ex Newcastle Benfield player Jordan Laidler to the game. It should have been five goals to the home side in the seventy-fifth minute when Rhys Evans ran past the now dejected Killingworth defence, he should have scored but decided to pass to a team mate who saw his effort blocked.

So, it came to the last ten minutes, and in this time, Lewis Scorgie was the dominant figure, firstly in the eightieth minute he met a corner and headed inches over the cross bar and in the eighty-fifth minute he played a fine pass into Cyril Giraud who should have scored, but Ross Logan in the Killingworth goal made a good save. Then in the ninetieth minute almost produced another goal for the home team.

A slow build up found Rhys Evans who then produced a great cross to find a Benfield trialist with a significantly recognisable name in the Newcastle area Gascoigne but unfortunately, he could not increase Newcastle Benfield’s score and the match soon ended with the home team winning 4-0.

Reporter: Allan Young

16 views0 comments