Benfield vs Golcar United: Match Report


F.A Vase First Round Proper

Having not managed to get to Wembley in the F.A. Cup, Newcastle Benfield the Lions were competing to get the next best thing with a match in the F.A. Vase against Golcar United.

The visitors showed no signs of tiredness after their travel up from Huddersfield and it took a fine claim in the first minute from Benfield keeper Andrew Grainger to deny them the perfect start to the game.

It didn’t take them long however for Golcar to get the opening goal and what a goal it was, a long ball in the tenth minute found Daniel Naidole out on the left wing cutting in he unleashed a rocket shot flying into the top corner of the goal giving Benfield keeper Andrew Grainger no chance of saving making it 1-0.

This must have shocked the home team as within two minutes they got an equalising goal, it occurred when Reece Noble played a pass to Aiden Haley who controlled the ball and with a swift turn, he volleyed the bouncing ball into the net flying past Golcar goalkeeper Harry Stead making the score 1-1.

The game turned in favour of the home team in the twentieth minute when they got a second goal, a fine cross to the far post from Aiden Haley was controlled by Paul Brayson who after controlling the ball played a square pass to Sam Walton giving him a simple tap in making the score 2-1 to Newcastle Benfield.

There was nothing really to write about with both teams trying each other out without either team looking like scoring and halftime came with Benfield leading 2-1.

It took seven minutes of the second half before anything worth reporting occurred, a pass to the far post from Brad Varga saw Connor Walker coming in from the wing but excellent defending from Leon Henry blocked the ball for a corner which came to nothing.

Despite being a goal down Golcar came advancing forward and in the sixty-fourth minute a cross to the near post by Leon Henry created a difficult chance for substitute Alex Hallam who headed over the Benfield bar. Play was even for the next ten minutes but in the thirty-first minute a strong run by Oliver Willetts saw his shot from 30yards just clear the Benfield crossbar.

A mistake in the Golcar defence almost gifted a third goal to Benfield in the eighty-first minute when substitute Abu Salim crossed the ball but was fouled just after putting the ball into the penalty area so the referee Ryan Abraham therefore giving Benfield a free kick with goalkeeper Harry Stead making a decent save from Paul Brayson.

The third minute of added on time saw Newcastle Benfield get their third goal in very unusual circumstances, after winning a corner Golcar goalkeeper Harry Stead came up for the dead ball kick but this was cleared with the goalkeeper being 80yards from his goal.

The ball found its way to Paul Brayson on the halfway line with goalkeeper Stead racing back to his empty goal but he was not quick enough with the Benfield player advancing forward to hit the ball into the empty goal making the score 3-1 to Newcastle Benfield.

Just when it looked like it was win for the home team the referee added another three minutes on and Golcar threw everyone forward and after a scramble in the Benfield Penalty area substitute Lee Bradshaw hit a left foot shot into the Benfield goal making the score 3-2 to the Lions.

Although the referee only played one minute more they were nervy times for both the Benfield players and spectators but in the end Newcastle Benfield ran out winners 3-2 progressing to the next round.

At this time the next round is due November 20th but we still wait for the draw to see who our opponents will be.

Man of the Match … Connor Walker.

Reporter: Allan Young.

67 views0 comments