Benfield vs Consett: Match Report



This was going to be a tough game for Benfield against the in form team of the division and it showed in only the third minute when Alfie Gordon who had replaced unavailable first team keeper Andrew Grainger was called into action.

Poor defending by the Benfield defence allowed the Consett centre forward Dale Pearson to hit a strong shot at goal only to see the Benfield keeper Alfie Gordon make a brilliant save.

Benfield came back with four minutes gone and Cameron Gascoigne hit his effort just wide of the Consett goal, but a minute later it was Ex Benfield player Dale Pearson who can count himself unlucky, when he collected a through ball and hit a strong left foot shot, which crashed off the Benfield goal post.

Thirteen minutes had gone and the visitors were looking dangerous in attack and after a flowing move down the Benfield left the home team were again indebted to goalkeeper Alfie Gordon, producing a fine save to deny Jermaine Metz.

The home team came close in the fifteenth minute to getting the opening goal when a dangerous cross to the far post from Sam Walton found the head of Paul Brayson, who headed just wide of the Consett goal.

The opening goal of the game went to Newcastle Benfield in the twenty-second minute, when a good move down the Benfield left flank saw Cyril Giraud play in Sam Walton who hit a low cross into the Consett penalty area, it was met by Paul Brayson and he side footed the ball home to make it 1-0 to Benfield.

It was only three more minutes later, Consett goalkeeper Kyle Hayes showed off his ability by making a great save from Aiden Haley after a Benfield corner.

The half hour mark arrived when Consett got an equalising goal, after a scramble in the Benfield penalty area the ball arrived to Ex Benfield player Jake Orrell, who scrambled the ball into the Benfield net making the score 1-1.

It then wasn’t long however before Consett got a second goal, as within nine minutes a cross to the right found Jermaine Metz who saw his effort on goal deflected into the net by his team mate Dale Pearson, making the score 2-1.

Two minutes later and the game was all but put to bed for Consett when a mistake by Benfield keeper Alfie Gordon allowed a header by Consett’s Stephen Callen to enter the net making it 3-1 to Consett.

Halftime was approaching but the visitors were not yet finished and Calvin Smith finished the first half with a bullet header into the Benfield goal making it 4-1 at halftime.

The game was nearly done in the first minute of the second half when Consett came close after a dangerous cross from Calvin Smith was well held by debutant Alfie Gordon.

The next goal of the game came in the fifty-fourth minute, when Cyril Giraud out on the left wing cut inside and hit a low drive into the bottom corner, making it 4-2 to Consett.

It took a good save in the seventy-first minute from debutant Alfie Gordon to stop Consett’s Stephen Callen from adding to their tally and had it not been for the keeper Benfield could have conceded six goals.

In the seventy-second minute, he was again called into action in the Benfield penalty area, when he tipped a strong shot from Dale Pearson over the bar.

The home side were looking the more likely team to get the next goal but their next chance came from a corner which came to nothing. Without looking like scoring, Benfield did come back into the game possession wise but could have fell to the sucker punch in the seventy-sixth minute when a through ball left Dale Pearson clear, but again Benfield keeper Alfie Gordon was up to the task, producing another brilliant save.

With only four minutes left a long ball chased by the Consett substitute Oliver Scott saw his effort from a poor angle just go wide of the Benfield far post, leaving the score at 4-2 to Consett.

Man of the Match … Cyril Giraud.

Reporter: Allan Young.

80 views0 comments