Benfield vs Bishop Auckland: Match Report



Another drive down the A1 this time to Bishop Auckland in what on paper should be a victory, but as we don’t play on paper a difficult match was anticipated.

It was very much a trial period for the Bishops’ team as a new manager Chris Hardy had just been appointed and they had the first opportunity to try to impress him.

It was the ninth minute before either team looked like scoring and the first effort on goal came from Benfield, a patient build up ended with a quick turn and shot from Paul Brayson bringing a good save by Bishop’s keeper Nicholas Liversedge, for a corner to Benfield.

The first real easy scoring position went to Newcastle Benfield in the fifteenth minute, a corner from the right found Benfield captain Mark Turnbull six yards out with a free unchallenged header which he put wide of the post when he should have scored.

Play then calmed down for a few minutes but it was a brilliant block from Ritchie Slaughter in the twenty-first minute, to deny Bishops’ Lewis Suddick from getting the opening goal of the game.

However, the opening goal of the game came in the twenty-eighth minute and it went to Newcastle Benfield, Peter Glen- Ravenhill charged down the wing before producing a cross which found Paul Brayson who pounced on the ball before producing a blistering cross shot into the far top corner of the net giving home keeper Nicholas Liversedge no chance of saving, making the score 1-0 to Newcastle Benfield.

It wasn’t long before Benfield got the second of the game, it came in the thirty-first minute when debutant Ryan McGorrigan a recent signing from Ashington got on the end of a run up the right flank and a perfect cross to the far post by Kane Evans heading firmly past the Bishop Auckland goalkeeper making it 2-0 to Benfield.

Bishop Auckland were not to be deterred and came close to scoring in the thirty-third minute and it was only because of a brilliant save from Benfield keeper Andrew Grainger which denied Bradley Mills reducing the score. It was a minute later and Bishop Auckland were reduced to 10 men when the referee David Holmes sent off Bradley Mills for a poor tackle on Connor Walker.

The visitors were looking even more dangerous with the extra man and nearly scored a third goal after a corner to Benfield was cleared to find Paul Brayson who immediately drove the ball back into the danger area to see it deflect inches wide of being an own goal just clearing the far post.

Within two minutes Newcastle Benfield did get their third goal and it came when the ball was cleared out of the Benfield penalty area to the half way line, it was collected by Paul Brayson who advanced forward in towards the Bishop’s penalty area before unleashing a bullet shot on goal giving Nicholas Liversedge no hope of saving making the score 3-0 to Benfield.

It was nearly four when the first added minute of the half had arrived with Connor Walker driving inches over the Bishop Auckland goal after combining with Ryan McGorrigan leaving the half time score 3-0 to Newcastle Benfield.

The Bishop Auckland team obviously didn’t listen to much to their managers half time team talk which probably said keep it tight in the opening minutes then try to get a couple of goals back as within one minute of the second half Bishop’s found themselves four goals down.

A quick break and build up saw the ball arrive at the feet of Ritchie Slaughter who after collecting the ball advanced forward to unleash an unstoppable 20-yard effort which flew into the top corner of the Bishops’ goal making the score 4-0 to Benfield.

The same goal scorer came inches of getting a second goal in the fifty-first when he hit a screamer of a shot that cleared the home side crossbar by inches.

The goals kept flowing with the visitors getting another in the fifty-third minute a brilliant cross from Aiden Haley found Paul Brayson who’s control of the ball was as equally brilliant and he then smashed the ball into the net for his hat trick leaving the score at 5-0 to Newcastle Benfield.

The score line dictated that the match was all but over but Newcastle Benfield were not content with just five goals and kept charging forward looking for a sixth and they thought that they had it in the fifty-seventh minute, a break out of defence by Ryan McGorrigan who found team mate Abu Salim with the Benfield substitute finding his fine effort blocked for a corner by the Bishops’ defender Paul Roddam.

From the corner Newcastle Benfield thought that they had got a sixth goal, a quick short corner was crossed by Benfield skipper Mark Turnbull to find Ryan McGorrigan who tapped the ball into the net but much to his horror the linesman was flagging for offside and the goal was disallowed.

Goals were flying in at regular intervals and it was the home team who opened their account in the sixty-first minute, Benfield lost possession of the ball in a breakaway which was gathered by Bishop Auckland substitute Greg Rutherford who hammered it home for a good goal making the score 5-1 to Benfield.

As quick as Bishop’s had scored it was Benfield’s turn a minute later to get their sixth goal, Abu Salim received the ball after smart build up play by Benfield, after moving forward he coolly slotted the ball past the advancing Bishop Auckland goalkeeper Nicholas Liversedge to make the score 6-1 to Newcastle Benfield.

Although they were being overrun by Benfield the Bishop Auckland players to their credit were not giving in and in the seventy-third and seventy-fifth minutes they came close to getting some goals back.

Then after a good strong run fullback Anthony Callaghan hit his effort just over the Benfield crossbar then two minutes later another good effort came from Greg Rutherford who did a similar thing.

Then to rub salt into the Bishops’ wounds it was in the eighty-fifth minute Newcastle Benfield got a seventh goal, after a smooth build up involving Aiden Haley, new boy Ryan McGorrigan completed the perfect debut for him when after a patient team build up the ball found its way to the debutant who made it the perfect first game by hitting a long range effort into the net via the post to complete a most satisfying debut making the score 7-1 to Benfield. This was the final score.

Man of the Match … RYAN McGorrigan.

Reporter: Allan Young

50 views0 comments