Benfield vs Ashington: Match Report



This was the third time this season that Newcastle Benfield had played Ashington and they were hoping for a third victory having won the previous two.

Newcastle Benfield started the game only being to name four substitutes due to injuries and they had the worst start with Archie Leonard in the seventh minute having to go off with an injury. However, Archie made a quick return after treatment by the Physio. The eighth minute of the game should have seen Ashington take the lead, a mistake by the Benfield captain Mark Turnbull allowed a break away with Ashington’s Max Cowburn thru in a one-on-one situation with the Benfield keeper Andrew Grainger and it was the Benfield custodian who came out on top and a good chance for the home team was missed.

Ashington were looking dangerous in the early stages and looking the more likely to get the opening goal but it was Benfield who should have got that first goal when a poor pass from Ashington’s Ben Sampson allowed Lennon Mills to advance towards goal but Karl Dryden the Ashington keeper was up to the task and saved the shot at goal.

Twenty-two minutes had passed by when Benfield’s Ritchie Slaughter made a strong run advancing from the half way line before seeing his strong shot on goal well saved by the Ashington keeper Karl Dryden.

Within another minute it was the turn of Ashington to come close to getting the first goal of the game. Luke Salmon gained possession of the ball out on the left wing before cutting in to hit an effort which just cleared the Benfield cross bar. Within another minute it was the Benfield Keeper Andrew Grainger who was called on to deny Ashington’s Max Cowburn from scoring from a free kick.

A goal had to come soon after all the attacking from both teams and it did in fact come in the thirtieth minute with it going to Newcastle Benfield, strong play out on the right wing by Benfield’s Archie Leonard saw him break thru before squaring the ball into the path of Lennon Mills who side footed the ball into an empty goal to make it 1-0 to Benfield.

Ashington came charging back and within two minutes of going behind and almost got an equaliser when Luke Salmon and team mate Dean Briggs combined with the latter bringing a good save from the Benfield keeper Andrew Grainger. The game was going to and fro from both teams, and it was the visitors in the thirty-third minute who come close to getting a second goal.

A break out of defence by Benfield’s Aiden Haley saw Benfield get a corner with Mark Turnbull flicking the ball onto Jake Thompson at the far post but he put his half chance over the bar.

It was then the turn of Ashington to go close to equalising, a long pass down the line from Luke Salmon found team mate Ryan McGorrigan who saw his effort go inches over the bar. Leaving the score at halftime 1-0 to Newcastle Benfield.

The second half had just started when the first chance of the second half came, when a shot from Dean Briggs was saved for a corner. Ashington had started briskly in the second half but within three minutes of the start of the second half they came close to conceding a second goal. Benfield’s Cameron Gascoigne gained possession of the ball and despite being under pressure from two Ashington players he held them off to hit a shot which was deflected for a corner.

The game was flowing back and forth with Ashington looking the more dangerous and likely to get the next goal of the game.

Archie Leonard then had a good chance when he went one on one with the Ashington keeper Karl Dryden who was again up to the task denying the Benfield Midfielder. Then in the fifty-second minute Ashington’s number nine broke clear but to the disappointment of the home crowd hit his shot high and wide.

Ashington kept on advancing forward in their desire to get an equaliser and Karl Ross came close in the fifty-third minute only to see the Benfield keeper push the ball away for a corner, due to injuries Newcastle Benfield could only name three substitutes and they had to use Kane Evans in the fifty-sixth minute when a pass from Archie Leonard found Lennon Mills who saw his shot blocked in a strong but fair tackle by Curtis Coppen but unfortunately the Benfield defender had injured his ankle and had to be replaced.

A goal had to come for Ashington and it came in the sixty-first minute when the referee adjudged that the Benfield keeper had fouled Ryan Mcgorrigan who stepped up to convert the penalty making the score 1-1.

It was the home team who should have got the next goal when in the sixty-sixth minute a break down the right wing saw a great cross from Luke Salmon give team mate Karl Ross an easy chance to score which he put wide when he should have easily scored.

It didn’t take long however for Ashington to gain the lead, a cross from the right wing was met at the far post by substitute Paul Robinson who confidently side footed the ball home to make the score 2-1 to Ashington.

The home team were now bossing the game and got a third goal in the seventy-sixth minute when a corner from the left wing was missed by Benfield keeper Andrew Grainger allowing Dean Briggs to side foot home from close range making the score 3-1 to Ashington.

Eighty-three minutes had gone by when a good chance went the way of Newcastle Benfield with Connor Walker who saw his effort scrambled away by Ashington substitute Paul Robinson. Although the end was nigh it wasn’t yet finished with Ashington getting a second penalty for a foul by Benfield keeper Andrew Grainger in the eighty-seventh minute. Up stepped the scorer of the first penalty Dean Briggs who hit a well struck shot only to be denied by a brilliant save from the Benfield keeper Andrew Grainger keeping the score at 3-1 to Ashington which was the final score of the match.

Man of the Match … Aiden Haley.

Reporter: Allan Young.

74 views0 comments