Benfield vs Albion Sports: Match Report

Updated: Sep 29, 2021


Who would have thought that a day trip to the sunny Leeds/Bradford area to watch a game of football could be so entertaining?

This match had absolutely everything. Alfie Gordon had been selected ahead of regular Benfield keeper Andrew Grainger but unfortunately for the young keeper he pulled a muscle in the warm up, and had to be replaced.

The home team started off the brightest without really threatening the Benfield goal, and it was just a case of each team working the opposition out.

The first real attack on goal came from Benfield when a strong run down the left wing saw Jake Turnbull play Connor Walker in with his well struck effort going inches wide of the Albion goal.

The first goal of the game came in the eleventh minute and as usual this season it went to the opposition, meaning Benfield would have to chase the game in order to draw level. It came after a cross shot from Albion’s Robbie Fox was parried by the Benfield keeper Andrew Grainger into the path of Jayden Sandhu, who side footed the ball into an empty net making the score 1-0 to Albion Rovers.

Not to be too downhearted, Benfield in the sixteenth minute produced a fine move down the Albion right with Cameron Gascoigne seeing his effort well saved by the Albion keeper George Clarke. Twenty-two minutes had then elapsed when Newcastle Benfield thought they had equalised, a good strong run down the Benfield right by Connor Walker saw his well struck cross find the head of Paul Brayson who gleefully headed the ball home for the equaliser, but to his dismay the linesman had flagged for offside which must have been by inches.

The visitors were starting to creep more and more into the game and a fine three man move down the left flank gave Aiden Haley a shooting chance which was blocked from a corner, and Mechack Kanda headed just over the crossbar.

The thirtieth minute had arrived when Benfield got an equalising goal and it came after a foul on Peter Glen Ravenhill out on the Albion right wing. It took two efforts from Benfield’s captain Mark Turnbull, firstly he won a header to win Benfield a corner after his effort hit Albion mid fielder Bruce Tiani, then from the corner he made enough contact on the ball for it to just cross the line making the score 1-1.

The first caution of the game went to Albion’s Kameron Basi in the forty-third minute for a foul just outside of the Albion penalty area which the referee looked a little unsure what to give, but all he eventually cautioned the player. Halftime was approaching and there was no doubt that Benfield were starting to get on top as the half ended with the score 1-1.

It didn’t take long in the second half for another goal to be scored and it went in the first minute to Newcastle Benfield when a corner into the near post was headed on by Jake Thompson to find the head of Paul Brayson, who headed into the net from close range making the score 2-1 to Newcastle Benfield. The visitors were not yet finished in their desire for goals as within three minutes of the second half they got a third goal, after winning a corner the referee Dan Brown saw a handball, giving Benfield a penalty.

Up stepped Paul Brayson to send the Albion keeper George Clarke the wrong way in his dive. making the score 3-1 to Benfield, with two goals within three minutes of the second half. This seemed to knock the stuffing out of the home team and they came close to being further behind after only five minutes of the second half, as a strong commanding run down the wing by Jake Turnbull saw his cross just evade Connor Walker, despite his despairing lunge forward in an attempt to make contact on the ball.

The fifty-seventh minute brought a big decision for the referee whether to give a red or yellow card to Albion’s Jayden Sandhu but he settled for a yellow card. It was then the turn of a Benfield player in the sixty-fifth minute to receive a yellow card, when Cameron Gascoigne fouled Albion’s Jayden Sandhu.

Despite being down by two goals, Albion kept pressing in an attempt to claw back some goals, and they came close in the seventy-fifth minute, winning a corner after the Benfield keeper made a good save to deny Jamal Stuart. A turning point in the game came in the seventy-eighth minute when Benfield were awarded a free kick and Albion lost Jayden Sandhu, after the referee instantly gave him a red card for elbowing a player.

From the resulting free kick taken by Archie Leonard, a fine save came from Albion keeper George Clarke. Time was running out in order for the home team to claw back the two-goal deficit and in their attempt to reduce the score line they did in fact go further behind as in the eighty-second minute, when Benfield got a fourth goal.

Good play out on the right wing by Paul Brayson saw him pick out Archie Leonard, who side footed the ball home to make the score 4-1 to Benfield. Things started to get even worse for the home team as they conceded four goals in the last five minutes.

In the eighty-fifth minute Cameron Gascoigne was put through, and after advancing forward confidently put the ball past keeper George Clarke into the net making the score 5-1.

The visitors were not yet finished and got a sixth goal a minute later, as a long ball from Archie Leonard found Peter Glen Ravenhill, his first touch was perfect and allowed him to advance forward before passing the ball to Jake Turnbull, making it 6-1 to Benfield.

The home team were desperate for the final whistle to go as they were being run ragged and looking desperately tired and downhearted, but more was to come, as in the ninetieth minute Benfield got a seventh goal when a classy three man move resulted in Aiden Haley hitting the ball firmly into the back of the net to make it seven.

The home crowd had now started to disappear but for those that stayed they had the pleasure of another goal to Newcastle Benfield; it came in the twelfth minute of added on time, when a corner on the right found the head of Jake Thompson who crashed a header home for the eighth goal with the final whistle going soon after leaving the score at 8-1 to Newcastle Benfield.

The Next Round … Is a home tie against Golcar United Saturday 23rd OCTOBER 3PM.

Man of the Match … Cameron Gascoigne.

Reporter: Allan Young.

96 views0 comments